We are on a Journey. A Journey of love and frustration. A Journey of finger pricks and cupcakes. A Journey of Type 1 Diabetes...The Journey of a lifetime!



Friday, September 21, 2012

April Blues

I was feeling down.  Feeling tired, under-appreciated, overworked, underpaid, hormonal etc etc.  You Mom's out there know what I'm talking about-you D-Mom's especially! I wanted nothing more than to just have a day to myself.  A day free of demands and time lines and filled with a pedicure and Mexican food. 

My husband and I were coming up on our anniversary of 9 years.  He had been saying he had something special for me and I knew it was going to be just what I wanted.  So what do you think it was?

A spa day or a quiet romantic dinner?  Nope.  It was a book and a card.  I thought you have to be kidding me!  This is not what I wanted or needed but I kept that to myself.  I thanked him and continued to sulk.  I didn't want to even look at the book.  It was a book about Diabetes after all and I needed a break from it all.

Weeks went past with this book on my nightstand.  I'd look at it and think about opening it but I didn't.  Another two weeks went past and I grabbed it to give it a quick once over...I read the first page and I shut it immediately.  This book was a Diabetic's Mom Memoirs to her child.  It was all to much.  This is what I wanted to escape. 

My husband asked me days later how I liked the book.  I told him I wasn't ready to read it quite yet.  As he nodded his head he told me he knew I was dealing with alot.  He told me that he wanted me to know that I wasn't alone and that other mothers out there deal with the same things if not much more.  His hopes were that this book would inspire me to start blogging again.  Very nice Larry.  Nice thing to say but I wasn't ready.

Late one night-I opened the book and forced myself to read it.  How was it that this Mom knew exactly what I was feeling?  I cried as I flipped through the pages.  My tears were full of regret for not appreciating this gem that my husband had gifted to me.   How did he know that this was exactly what I needed?

My husband who doesn't say much has been a constant in my life for 9 years.  Who am I kidding? He knows me very well.  He knew exactly what I needed.  And so-it's this book and my Larry that helped me get through an April of the blues.  It must have worked because I'm back blogging again.

1 comment: